Monday, February 7, 2011

people always think they know what they are getting...and they are always wrong.

I started following other blogs over the past year and although I really wanted to try keeping one of my own, I never knew what to write about. So when 'Witty Professor' instructed us to keep one I was incredibly excited. I thought it would be a fun creative outlet and that maintaining a blog would be easy for me.

I have been proven sorely wrong.

Keeping a blog is difficult. It is not hard to think of things to post, and it is not that I lack things to say, but it is terrifying for me to put my ideas down and allow other people to read them. I am not a shy person. Yet I  have found myself lacking confidence when approaching this assignment.

WHY?!

I have journaled for years and can spend hours lost in my own world of reflection and imagination. And that's just it- it is MY world. When I journal I don't have to worry about other people's opinions, about offending anyone or having my own opinion judged. I don't have to worry about my spelling (which is notoriously atrocious) or grammar (which is stereotypically 'Albertan'). But this uncharacteristic shortage of conviction is driving me a bit crazy.

BUT...this disillusionment is also bringing about positive attitude changes. As I discover the amount of courage it takes to open up to people in this medium, I have developed a great appreciation for people who do blog religiously. And my own open-mindedness to other blogs encourages me to believe that people will be accepting of mine too...

...right?

1 comment:

  1. "Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody"

    ReplyDelete