Tuesday, April 5, 2011

we can ride bikes without helmets




As I am late getting this response up, the date for Canada’s next federal election has now officially been set for May 2, 2011. Why they bothered calling an election at all, I am not sure because we only ever end up with a minority government anyway, but good on ‘em for trying, right?
However, ignoring the seemingly doomed-to-be-repeated results of past elections and setting aside most negativity and cynicism, I do intend to vote in the upcoming election. Perhaps it is all my early education on what it means to be a citizen of Canada, or the many conversations with my Grandpa in which he pressed the importance of being an active member of society...either way, although I do not typically concern myself with events over in Ottawa any more than they worry about me here in Alberta, on May 2 I will head to the polls and fill out my ballot. 
I believe voting is important for two major reasons 
(as well as a couple less substantial ideas). First, because it is my duty as a citizen of Canada- a democratic nation- to participate in government affairs. Secondly, because it is important for me to have my voice heard by the government and in voting I ensure a better chance that I am represented by someone who shares my opinions and whom I respect. I must also admit there is some subtle gloating after I vote (hence the less substantial bit of rational) because it is such a novelty- how often does the government ask for your opinion on something concerning everyone? Exactly.
I am also a strong believer in the age old phrase “speak now or forever hold your peace”. If you choose not to vote, as far as I am concerned, you opt out of any right to bitch, moan, complain, or grumble about anything the big-wigs in Ottawa do. I don’t care how “it is so unfair” and “if [you] were making the decisions, it would be [like this]...” No. You had your chance to have a say, you chose to not participate, and now you get to watch from the sidelines. You made your bed, now lay in it and watch the news as they tally the results of the vote and don’t you dare say anything because you were too lazy to get up and fill out a couple boxes that morning. 
Although I think it is a vital part of democracy that all eligible people vote, I think it is especially important that young people, specifically students, vote. It is important that we, as young people, take interest in our government because, let’s face it- we’re the ones who will be running it in another 10 years (SCARY THOUGHT). It is also important for us to take interest and participate in our government because as students we have new ideas and wants and dreams for our nation; things that should be heard! The needs of our generation will be different than those of previous ones and it is critical that we be aware of how to have our voices heard and our demands met.
Unfortunately, Canadian students seem to struggle with the execution of this concept. According to Elections Canada not only has general attendance steadily decreased (with voter turnout at only 58.8%) youth attendance at the polls is specifically, disturbingly low. In the federal election of 2000, only 22.4% of 18-24 year olds voted and in 2008 only 35.6% of the eligible electoral population between 18 and 21 years of age voted (Elections Canada). There are many speculations as to why  our generation exhibits such a pathetic sense of duty but regardless of the cause, the consequences are clear: if the youth continue to be unassertive and inactive in government, it spells a long and difficult road for them in both national endeavors and the global community in the near future. 


Assigned Blog Entry #5: ‘Final Blog- A General Election’)

No comments:

Post a Comment